Any time you self treat symptoms, there are a number of questions you need to ask yourself. While Primatene mist has been taken off the market, there have been a number of questions around a relatively new OTC product called Asthmanefrin.
You should still consider these 4 questions before using an OTC asthma medication:
- Am I Sure This Is Asthma? When you have asthma you will likely experience classic asthma symptoms such as:
However, all of these symptoms can also be caused by other diseases, like COPD or heart disease, and some may improve with OTC treatment.
- Am I At Risk For A Fatal Asthma Attack? Asthma can be a really serious, even deadly disease. If you need to use an OTC asthma medication to improve your breathing, you probably need to see a doctor about your symptoms. If you need a rescue inhaler more than twice per week, you probably need an inhaled steroid. Inhaled steroids are not available as an OTC asthma medication.
- Is OTC Asthma Medication Safe? Concerns regarding the safety of selling OTC asthma medications have been raised by the medical community. Currently OTC medications are not sold for hypertension, heart disease or cholesterol problems. You could then reasonably ask why sell OTC asthma medication? As a result, researchers have studied whether or not this practice is safe.
- What Are the Side Effects of OTC Asthma Medication? You can experience asthma medication side effects with an OTC asthma medication just like prescription medication. Make sure you know the side effects of an OTC asthma medication and call your doctor if you experience them.
Many patients say cost is one of the main reasons for using OTC asthma medication. Prescription inhalers have gotten much more expensive as a result of a regulation that is requiring manufacturers to switch the propellant (what sprays the drug) in their products from chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) to hydroflouroalkane (HFA). Several of the resources below may help you obtain less expensive prescription medication.
OTC Asthma Medication- Help For You
- Online Drugstores - Are They Safe?
- 10 Tips For Using An Online Pharmacy
- Counterfeit Drugs: Am I At Risk if I Buy Drugs Online?
- Financial Help for Asthma Medications